The Julian Game Review


7242735Title: The Julian Game
Author: Adele Griffin
All new girl Raye Archer wants is a way into the in crowd, so when ice-queen Ella Parker picks her to get back at her ex, the gorgeous Julian Kilgarry, Raye is more than game. Even if it means creating a fake Facebook identity so she can learn enough about Julian to sabotage him. It's a fun and dangerous thrill at first, but Raye hadn't counted on falling for Julian herself-and igniting Ella's rage.

As Raye works to reconcile the temptress Elizabeth with her real-life self, Ella serves up her own revenge, creating an online smear campaign of nasty rumors and trashy photographs. Suddenly notorious, Raye has to find a way out of the web of deceit that she's helped to build, and back to the relationships that matter.

Adele Griffin's riveting novel explores the issues of generation Facebook: the desire to be someone else, real versus online friends, and the pitfalls and fallouts of posting your personal life online for all the world to judge.




I found this book for 1.99 at a local store. It sounded like something I would really enjoy, so I picked it up. As you can see from my star rating, it wasn't something I enjoyed at all. The book itself wasn't thought out very well, and there were some holes in the plot.The characters weren't very rounded and seemed to switch personalities a lot. I know one was supposed to, but all the characters seemed to have bipolar issues.


What I Liked:

  • The summary to the story. That is what originally caught me. I watch the show catfish and this sounded very much like that. I was super excited about it.

  • The Cover. The cover is beautiful and intriguing.



What I Didn't Like:

  • Characters. The characters weren't rounded. They were very flat. Espeically Julian. He was so flat. It was very frustrating, because I couldn't relate to any of the characters, because of this.

  • The Flow. The author would jump around so much it took a lot of time trying to figure out where the characters were or what they were doing. At one point they are in the car and then at a party and then running from the cops. No transition there.

  •  No Research. I have a friend that is visiting from China, so after reading this book I asked him what shibushi actually meant. It doesn't mean what the author says it did in this book. It means yes or no or either way. It was meant to mean something along the lines of YOLO in this book.

  • Didn't Follow Up. I would have liked it if she followed up more on the Parker character. There is a story behind her that we never get to learn. I mean she takes us behind her a bit, but not enough to explain the things we need to know to make that character good. This goes along with the character being flat, but it needed a section of it's own.

  • Humor. What was supposed to be funny in this book, just wasn't. It wasn't thought out or something you could imagine happening in everyday life. The main character was supposed to be witty, but nothing about her came across as witty. As a matter of fact, witty was confused with bitchy a lot in this book.





Would I Recommend This Book:

No. This book ranks up there with Wake for me. It is on the lines of unreadable. I hate rating books like this, because I know the author did put in time to write it, but it is what it is, I guess.

No comments