Alice in Zombieland Review!



11300302Title: Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Sowlater
She won't rest until she's sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. But that's all it takes. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real.

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies.

Happy Halloween! To celebrate my favorite holiday I thought I would do something I hadn't done in awhile! POST A REVIEW! This was on my Halloween TBR last year and I just didn't get around to it, but I am glad I finally did this year.




So this is a 3.5 stars for me.

I am going to be honest, here. I seriously considered putting this book down during the first 150 pages. In my opinion, those were eye rolling worthy. I thought we were headed toward an insta-love situation.




What I Liked:

  • Author – I LOVE Gena Showalter. She is a fantastic writer. I have read some of her adult and NA books, but this was my first YA book from her. I do own her intertwined series, but haven’t read it yet.

  • Story – Like most people, Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories from my childhood. From the books to the Disney adaptation. I even own the xbox games. So I was very excited to see a book where it combines the story of Alice and zombies. 

  • Flow – This book was very fast paced and wasn’t choppy at all. It flowed beautifully. 

  • Writing – Despite what I say in my dislike list, the writing is great. Showalter is so talented when it comes to crafting a scene that it is ridiculous. In the 150 pages that I was debating the book, I even envied the writing. The first vision I had to put the book down, just to ramble on about how beautiful it was to my boyfriend who wasn’t even listening. Her and Kresley Cole are very similar in this and I wish they would write a book together just about their writing methods on writing beautiful scenes.

  • Emma – Emma was my favorite character by far in this book. She reminded me a lot of my younger niece attitude wise. 

  • Plot Twist – The last plot twist really surprised me, but it was the fact that I had thought about it being a possibility at the first of the book and wrote it off is what was great. She basically told you what was coming, but it still shocks you, because you convince yourself that no one girl can handle all of that. Especially that!



What I Didn’t Like:

  • Characters – I really hate to say this about a story written so beautifully and I do think this is just my personal opinion of these characters. I didn’t really connect with Alice and to be honest, 50% of the book I LOATHED Kat. Though I did end up coming around to Kat and not really to Alice. I liked Alice, but there was just that disconnect there. I give this a large part to the age difference. Alice is a teenager and I am going on 26, so we don’t really think the same. So again, just my opinion, had nothing to do with the writing.

  • Original – I know it is a modern day retelling of zombies, but I felt that there should be something tying it to the original story. Now let me explain, before you guys start saying there were, because again, I think this was another one on my part and the disconnect. There was the rabbit. But other than that I wasn’t able to see any of the original characters. Though part of me thinks that there was and they will be more distinguished in the following books, hopefully.

  • Relationship – This really bothered me at first. I won’t say who it was between to prevent any spoilers, but I will say why it bothered me. He laid claim on her way before he ever talked to her. To me that is a sign of abusive and you need to stay away from that psycho! But in the world of YA it is apparently so cute and it means the new girl should so go for it! Without even saying a single word to this dude. Yes, I know there are visions, but still, be in control of your own destiny! Talk to other people! And if more than 2 people warn you about that guy, do some research on him before you go being alone with him! But again, that is the age disconnect there, though I would like to think I would have said the same thing when I was that age. Sigh.


Just a note: I did come around to the relationship, I just didn’t agree with the start of it or how the characters went about it.



Would I recommend:

  • Yes. Push past the first 150 pages because if you are anything like me you will consider just putting it down. It does get better. A LOT better!


Will I Read The Second One:

  • Yes, I will. I actually can’t wait! My local BAM doesn’t have it! So I will have to wait until my days off to go find it.


No comments