Ugly Love Review

17788401Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.



What I Liked:



  • New Take -So this book uses the cliche plot of guy doesn't want a commitment and the two decide just to be hookup buddies. If I had known anything about the book going into it, I probably wouldn't have read it, but I am glad I did. Hoover didn't make it feel like you were reading a cliche and successfully put a different twist on an otherwise worn out plot.

  • Writing - The things Colleen Hoover does with words are amazing. I find myself stopped to ask how she does it in every book. Because it is beyond amazing. 

  • Flow -  I liked that it all flowed together well and it was a quick read. I actually read it in a few hours.



  • Characters - I loved the characters in this book. The main character is relateable, though I don't always agree with her decisions. I loved Corbin. He was my favorite character and I wish she would do a book about him.



What I Didn’t Like:

  • Younger Miles - Every other chapter in this book is six years earlier through Miles POV. It tells the story of why Miles is the way he is. Though I know this was needed, I didn't like younger Miles. I don't think his character fit that of a teenage boy well.



  • Pushover - I have this problem with a lot of these type of books (After is a big one that has this problem) where the main character allows herself to get walked on because she "loves" the guy. Now in this one Tate has her moments where she tells him like it is, but they are always followed up with something that contradicts anything she said. It's like girls in NA are made to be walked on. 


Would I Recommend?:
  • Yes. If you are looking for a good NA book, you can rarely go wrong with Colleen Hoover. 


No comments