The Haunting of Sunshine Girl Review


21413855Title:The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
Author: Paige Mckenzie
Something freaky's going on with Sunshine's new house . . . there's the chill that wraps itself around her bones, the giggling she can hear in the dead of night, and then the strange shadows that lurk in her photographs. But the more weird stuff that happens, the less her mom believes her. Sunshine's always had a quirky affiliation with the past, but this time, history is getting much too close for comfort . . .

If there is something, or someone, haunting her house, what do they want? And what will they do if Sunshine can't help them?

As things become more frightening and dangerous, and the giggles she hears turn to sobs and screams, Sunshine has no choice but to accept what she is, face the test before her and save her mother from a fate worse than death.

The first in a frighteningly good new series based on the popular YouTube sensation The Haunting of Sunshine Girl Network, created by Paige McKenzie.






               Sunshine and her mother, Kat, have just moved from their home town in Texas, leaving behind the only home Sunshine has ever known. Her mother got a job offer for her dream job, causing them to move. Her new town is dark and wet and her new house gives her the creeps. Their first night there, Sunshine hears someone playing upstairs and a little girl laughing and talking. Of course, her mother thinks she is imagining it, but Sunshine keeps hearing and seeing things. Things in her room will be moved or scattered when she gets home. Mostly harmless, until the night that her and her mother hear a little girl being murdered in their bathroom. The bathroom door is locked and the little girl is screaming. When they finally get in, nobody is there. But on that night, Sunshine soon learns, her mother was possessed by a demon and the only person that can stop it is her.

               I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. When I read on the cover that it was a book that a youtuber wrote, I was skeptical. It seems like everyone on youtube is writing a book and I thought this was another one of those, or worse, had a ghost writer. But I was wrong. This book was great. I have never read a paranormal/scary book that flowed like this did. Usually I have one or two complaints, but I didn’t have any with this. The story flowed perfectly, it was original, and it kept the reader hooked.

               I loved the romance, even though there wasn’t any. Nolan helps Sunshine throughout the book and there are hints of feelings, but nothing overly fluffy like in SO MANY YA books today. It focused on what Sunshine was going through and her journey to save her mother instead of her relationship with Nolan. And I loved that. Not to mention Nolan and Sunshine’s characters. They are so well rounded and not the least bit annoying. A lot of times in YA the main female comes across as annoying a lot of times, but Sunshine is very relatable. I think the only thing I didn’t like about this book was her name and even that had a reason behind it.



I give this book a 5/5 stars. This book is good for anyone looking for a good YA book, but especially if  you want a good paranormal halloweenish read.




Find Paige McKenzie  online:

Buy The Haunting Of Sunshine Girl online:

1 comment

  1. Oh nice! I picked this up what feels like ages ago instead of just last year! I had heard good things about it and I am always up for a scary story! That a Youtuber wrote it was a little interesting too. I'm not on the Youtube scene so I didn't think it would have a big effect on me. As long as the writing is good, I'm happy! LOL! Glad to hear that it was a nice creepy read! I picked up the sequel this year on impulse as well. I really need to stop doing such things! Lol. But it feels like a good decision based on your review! Great review too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete